Friday, April 9, 2010

I don't get it

I read this story today and I'm outraged. http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/10/world/europe/10russia.html

My heart goes out to this boy as I can not imagine what he is facing and thinking about this experience. My heart goes out to the families that are in the middle of a Russian adoption and now have had their case put on pause indefinitely. What happened that made this woman feel so desperate as to send this child alone back to Moscow? We can not dictate how a child will act or be when they come into our lives, whether biologically or through adoption. There is absolutely no control over that and the situations that older children go through on their own before they are adopted are out of our hands. Now, because of this situation so many other families are dealing with the consequences and even worse, this child is hurting and is going back into the system. This just makes me so mad. Adoption is a strenuous, delicate situation. You have to ready to endure a lot, even more so when you choose to adopt an older child, but they are not "returnable." They are human lives and some have tragedy inter woven in those lives. Now, I like to think that there are 2 sides to every story and clearly I have no way of knowing what the other side fully is, but in the end, this child is now more vulnerable than before. And now, the system for adoption in Russia will be changing. Which, if it can help prevent a tragedy like this from happening, I am all for. I can only hope they work out their new regulations quickly so that families that have so much love to give a child can finish the process of their adoptions and these children can have forever homes. It's just so very, very disappointing to read this story. I truly do wonder how the situation could have been so bad to think sending him on his way back to his birth country alone would be the answer. I just don't get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment