Monday, August 23, 2010

A week of firsts


It's been a busy week with me and my sidekick. We've had some firsts. My favorite was our first time actually hanging out downtown with just the two of us. We live in a college town that has the cutest downtown area. It's a small town feeling as you walk down Massachusetts St. Generally, you see familiar faces in each journey out and about. First we hit a coffee shop. This was a big deal to me. I hadn't been venturing out much to partake in society, mainly because it's too freakin' hot to go outside and also because I get wrapped up in my own little world at home and forget to touch base with the rest of the world. I had forgotten how amazingly wonderful it is to just sit in a coffee shop with no agenda at all. Anyways, there we were mother and son. Enjoying my coffee, people watching and just being out and about while G focused deeply on a muffin. Granted it's a scene that can only last 20 minutes tops with a 9 month that gets bored easily, but I was glad we experienced it. We then ventured over to the fabric store, which is more like a fabric boutique. I love this store. It's huge windows with all the natural light flowing in and it's creaky, old wood floors. Rows and rows of draped fabric....I could go on and on... I wanted badly to take some photos of all the beautiful fabric, but my hands were full with my little man. He fell fast asleep against me as I browsed through the aisles looking for the right fabric for his highchair cushion I was making. It was a rainy, summer morning and I loved spending every second of it with my son. I find myself often wishing he was older so he could converse with me as we sit there watching the rest of the world. Then, I remind myself how quickly he will be and I snap back into knowing how important it is to live in the now.

The next big first is all Gadisa's. He has developed an intense and a little disturbing addiction (somewhat similar to my addiction to Gummy Bears and frozen pizza). He has discovered Puffs. You know, those little baby cereal things that dissolve in their mouths? I mean his obsession with these things could lead us to an intervention. He flips out over them! I find myself making a tire screeching U turn if I've figured out I've left the house with out any Puffs in the diaper bag! But hey, we all have our weaknesses, right?


And lastly, the main big first is what I walked into when I went to pick him up after a long afternoon slumber. There with a big ol' grin on his face was Gadisa standing up in his crib. We are now pulling ourself up and standing!! It all begins....
By the way, I swear I really do put clothes on my child! :)


1 comment:

  1. summer and naked babies...they go hand in hand, non?

    Noah was big into puffs too. the natures path kamut puffs were/still are his all time favorites. funny how having those key things in the diaper bag can be the difference between grocery shopping with sanity in tact or losing ones mind completely:)

    Yeah lil G! standing! congrats sweet boy!

    and you remind me: I need to go sit in a cafe sometime soon! autumn=hot chocolate so I'm sure it won't be long ((sigh))

    ReplyDelete